Message from the Superintendent
Wednesday, August 08, 2018
Hello ULUSD Families & Community Members,
First and foremost, I pray that you and your families are doing well considering the challenges you have been facing the last two weeks.
Here is the latest news you need to know
1. The Board of Trustees met yesterday and decided to postpone the school opening day to no earlier than the 22nd of August. They also approved a resolution for emergency cleaning and mitigation of any complications due to the smoke and ash that has surrounded our facilities for the past two weeks.
2. This morning a team from District leadership met with ServPro and Air & Water Sciences and visited all the school sites and conducted individual classroom assements. This is under our contract with Keenan & Associates who supports the District with risk management.
3. The mandatory evacuation for Upper Lake, Nice and Lucerne was lifted today, August 8th.
4. The above triggered the following plan of action:
a. ServPro will clean and mitigate air quality conditions in all of our offices on Friday, August 10.
b. ServPro will clean and mitigate air quality conditions in all classrooms and campuses between Monday and Wednesday, August 13-15, beginning first with the Elementary School.
c. Air & Water Science will certify all the cleaning and will issue a report accordingly.
5. We would like our staff to take the next two days (Thursday & Friday) to get back to their homes and address the aftermath of this heartbreaking and challenging time.
6. Office employees will report and resume work on Monday, August 13. Our offices and HVAC systems will be clean and ready for us to operate.
7. Teachers and support staff will return on Monday, August 20 for their two-day prep.
8. Praying that we do not have any changes in the fire conditions, we will welcome our students on Wednesday, August 22 to our clean and safe classrooms and campuses.
We would like for our students and families to know that our focus at ULUSD for the next few weeks will be to support our students and community emotionally and socially during this recovery period. We will celebrate our resiliency as a community, and we will move from a survival to a thrive mindset.
Please take the next fews days to regroup and bring back some normalcy into your life. We believe that the health, vitality, well-being and safety of your families are our first priority. We pray for your continued physical, emotional and financial healing and recovery.
If you have any questions or need support, please do not hesitate to reach out to me, our principals or directors. Our offices will be open Monday, August 13, 2018.
Blessings to all. Stay safe, stay well.
Giovanni H. Annous, Ed.D.
Superintendent, Upper Lake Unified School District